AOM Error "Unsupported Graphics Card"

Marcelinus

Posted17 April 2024 - 11:51 pm
Hi there,

i am trying to get AgeOfMythology: Extended Edition running on Voobly. After some early hickups i can join the AOT Main Lobby without any problems. I used the compatability patch and the update aomx10to103.exe. When i host a lobby and try to start the game following error message pops up:

"Unsupported Graphics Card

This graphics card is not supported by Age of Mythology.
Please check [You must login to view link] for a full list of supported graphics cards.
Age of mythology will now exit.

Video Card 0: nvldumd.dll NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Vendor(0x10DE) Device(0x2182)"

Google showed me similar fates of other people. for example:
[You must login to view link]

However none of these helped me all the way. My guess is that the corresponding .gfx file needs to be configured. Its name is 0x10de_nvidia.gfx, i assume. That file was already in the gfxconfig2-folder but empty.

At this point i dont know a way forward and would appreciate some help.

Kind regards
Marcelinus
リンク | 受信箱 | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted19 April 2024 - 10:11 am
Did you install the compatibilty patch for AoM:EE?
リンク | 受信箱 | Quote
 Marcelinus

Posted19 April 2024 - 2:04 pm
Hello,

yes I have. I also followed this procedure that was recommended in other threads:

1) Close Voobly + Uninstall Age of Mythology Extended Edition on Steam.
2) Delete the Age of Mythology folder. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology).
3) Install Age of Mythology Extended Edition on Steam and start the game once.
4) Install the Compatibility Patch.
5) Open Voobly and join the AOT Main Lobby.
6) The game diagnostics will now prompt you to locate the Age of Mythology executable. Please point the diagnostics to this file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\aomx.exe
7) Restart Voobly and now you should be able to play Age of Mythology on Voobly

The only difference was that I also executed the aomx10to103.exe between step 4) and 5)

I could join the AoT Main Lobby without any errors. After I host a lobby and try to start the Game, the game initally launches and gets interrupted by the error message. (see picture)

Thank you for your time.
Attachments:
graphics card error.PNG (file size: 1.89 MB)

リンク | 受信箱 | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

Posted23 April 2024 - 3:27 pm
Hi Marcelinus,

It seems like you have directed Voobly to the wrong executable. Please do the following steps to resolve the issue.

1) Close both Voobly and Steam.
2) Rename the Steam folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam) to Steam2.
3) Open Voobly and join the AOT Main Lobby.
4) The game diagnostics will now prompt you to locate the Age of Mythology executable. Please point the diagnostics to this file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\aomx.exe
5) Restart Voobly and now you should be able to play Age of Mythology on Voobly.
6) Rename the Steam2 folder back to Steam. Basically: undo step 2.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.
リンク | 受信箱 | Quote
 Marcelinus

Posted23 April 2024 - 5:27 pm
Hi Miko,

thank you for your reply. Sadly, I previously made sure that it is the right executable. Just to be sure I followed your steps and renamed the Steam folder but the game diagnostics did not show up since it already using the right executable.

I hope you have some another idea to solve my problem.

Kind regards

Marcelinus
リンク | 受信箱 | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

編集済み24 April 2024 - 12:30 pm by +miko@voobly
Hmm, that's odd. When did you take that screenshot you shared? The screenshot indicates that Voobly is executing the wrong executable somehow.

If we are looking at the given error itself, [You must login to view link] may work. The solution is for a fog of war and water fix, but I have fixed the graphics card error you have with this solution as well before.

Still, I think there is another issue here: either with the installation or the Voobly setup. The above fix may get you past the graphics error, but I suspect you will run into a next error. Have you done any manual copying or such with the game files or have you changed anything in either installation folder yourself at all?
リンク | 受信箱 | Quote
 Marcelinus

Posted24 April 2024 - 4:07 pm
Hi Miko,

in the beginning I had the wrong executable. I fixed that on my own with the help provided on other threads. Only after I fixed that I could join the AOT lobby. What part exactly of the screenshot makes you think that it is the executable? The screenshot was taken minutes before uploading that reply.

I tried the fix you linked in your answer. Sadly the error message still pops up. I renamed the i845.gfx to i845.gfx.old and renamed the geforce3.gfx to i845.gfx. After that didnt work I tried it with the gfx-file mentioned in the error message. So 0x10de_nvidia.gfx to 0x10de_nvidia.gfx.old and the new i845.gfx to 0x10de_nvidia.gfx. Unfortunatly that still didnt work. Did i do something wrong?

Thank you again for your time and effort.

Kind regards
Marcelinus
リンク | 受信箱 | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

編集済み27 April 2024 - 4:43 pm by +miko@voobly
Alright, well the screenshot you shared shows the Extended Edition splash screen and not the one of the Titans extension. Therefore it would make sense that the wrong executable is still selected.

You did the fix correctly. Sadly it didn't work, but it was worth a try.

What's wrong exactly is a mystery to me. I will provide you with a solution that has so far always worked for any problem with the patch. I will send you a known working full Age of Mythology Titans installation. I can see in your screenshot that you own the game on Steam legally, so I can share this installation with you. Please check your PMs on Voobly shortly.
リンク | 受信箱 | Quote
 Marcelinus

Posted28 April 2024 - 7:25 pm
Hi Miko,

thank you very much for letting me access this installation. I got good and bad news: the error regarding the graphics cards disappeared with the new installation. But after I launch the game I get a black screen and a new error message:
"MSXML 4.0 is not installed correctly. It is required to run the game."

I hope this error is a more common one and has quick fix.

Many thanks as always
Marcelinus

リンク | 受信箱 | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted28 April 2024 - 7:39 pm
Marcelinus wrote:
Hi Miko,

thank you very much for letting me access this installation. I got good and bad news: the error regarding the graphics cards disappeared with the new installation. But after I launch the game I get a black screen and a new error message:
"MSXML 4.0 is not installed correctly. It is required to run the game."

I hope this error is a more common one and has quick fix.

Many thanks as always
Marcelinus

Try this:
リンク | 受信箱 | Quote
 Marcelinus

Posted28 April 2024 - 8:30 pm
Hi Chris,

it worked like a charm. I can start AOM Titans without any problems. Thank you all so much for your time and effort.

Kind regards
Marcelinus
リンク | 受信箱 | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted28 April 2024 - 8:47 pm
Gern geschehen.
リンク | 受信箱 | Quote
 +miko@voobly

VGaming Lead

PostedYesterday, 3:03 pm
Glad to hear the game is working now. Welcome to Voobly and have fun. ;good